Prusa Mendel i2 Update – 3

Calibration Prints 1

Now I have a working 3D printer again. I did have to make some adjustments to get it working, at least until I have to time to print out better versions of the parts. First dirty mod was to drill out the bottom of the extruder to make the J-Head hot-end fit in it, then use screws jammed into the bottom to make it stay. The second  mod was to put a spring between the screws that hold the extruder idler in place to keep the filament from slipping off the hobbed bolt. One of the mods not shown is Continue Reading →

Prusa Mendel i2 Update – 2

Front Mendel i2

Finally got my extruder, and it didn’t fit a J-Head hot-end, although a 16mm spade bit made sure it did. The thin glass I was using on the bed also broke and the Kapton tape teared on the first go. Not a great start but it is all functioning, it just needs tweaking. For the record, my replacement Solidoodle 2 parts still haven’t arrived, so if I can find a 200mmx200mm piece of glass or thick aluminum before it does, it’s fair to say their customer service needs adjustment..? Comments? Cheers

Prusa Mendel i2 Update

Mendel rear

I only have 1 item remaining (the extruder) to install before I can run some test prints through it, it is still in transit and maybe a few days/weeks. This is a test of the X and Y axis: This is what is built so far, please note the hot-end (a J-head) and extruder motor are cabled up but just hanging until the extruder plastic arrives. Tested: heated bed, all motors, hot-end, and both temperature sensors – all OK, although accuracy may need adjustment during the test print jobs. Cheers.

3D Printing Updates

I originally started printing parts for a Prusa Mendel Iteration 2 before my Solidoodle 2 had a fatal malfunction. I didn’t print a complete set,  mainly because it started out as a learning experience not a replacement. Currently in the second week of a 6-7 week turn around for the Solidoodle replacement parts to arrive, and I should have all the parts to make  the Mendel in about 2 weeks. Here is some prints that I haven’t published photos of yet: This is a security cam recording while printing “Clumsy Dragon” Cheers