This is an extension to HP T5000 As a Network Stereo. Rather than use the thin client as a fully qualified MD where boot times are slow, and it has a lot of non-required process’s running on it, etc… I’ve decided to explore the possibility of making a DIY squeezebox. I figured the Logitechs’ squeezebox would have lower specifications as far as CPU, RAM and storage are concerned.
First Option: SqueezeOS
Followed this tutorial and it created the images for an arm processor… Failed many times while trying to create a qemux86 and BootCDx86 base. I had tried using many different toolchains although it got to about a days worth of time when the idea was scrapped.
Second Option: Andriod install with Squeeze Player App.
This was a short lived idea as Andriodx86 ports needed Andriod Market installed to get the squeeze player app installed. Yeah you could install from source, etc.. But I was looking for a quick solution.
Final Option: DSL Linux with Squeeze Slave.
I have used DSL Linux on the T20 and it worked well. Just need to compile Squeeze Slave for it. After doing some research, I found the someone already had (looking for original forum post). Now it was just a matter of testing it in VMWare using the bootable ISO image – Tested OK.
Remastered the KNOPPIX file to get it to auto load; Edit /etc/skel/.xinitrc:
if egrep -qv lowram /proc/cmdline 2>/dev/null; then
dillo /usr/share/doc/dsl/getting_started.html &>/dev/null &
torsmo 2>/dev/null &
/home/dsl/squeezeslave -r5 192.168.80.1 -m00:00:00:00:00:04 &
/home/dsl/squeezeslave -r5 192.168.80.1 -m00:00:00:00:00:04 -M/var/log/squeezeslave_kitchen.log # (Stops running eventually without -M<log file>)
EDIT: This worked in VMWare although failed when using USB install
You can see that it’s all hardcoded into the image; For example if you want to make multiple network audio devices, you need to create different ISO’s, there are ways to get around this, although this was the quickest way for testing. To make others just change the MAC address: -m00:00:00:00:00:## (01-99). I recommend you put a label on the devices with the MAC address assigned to the image running on it.
Getting the ISO to boot from a USB was a failure, so I decided to install it to a USB memory stick and boot from that. So far it’s very responsive, and has an average memory usage of about 30-50MB.
Now the image has to be reduce to be installed into the thinclients flash memory so it can boot with just a power cord and network cable. USB wireless is also a possibility down the track.
If you want to try/edit the iso feel free to download the ISO HERE.