Purchased a couple of SoundMate M1’s for a great price to add wireless audio to area’s of our home. After a short time messing with it, I could only get iTunes to detect it as an audio source. While this is ok, I need it to work with DLNA sources from other devices. Also the web interface looked different from other images I had seen on the web. So I did a little poking around:
Downloaded an older version of the firmware and did a string and hex dump to see if there was anything interesting in them. While the string dump was boring, the hex dump revealed:
00000000 01 00 00 00 4f 70 65 6e 57 72 74 00 00 00 00 00 |….OpenWrt…..|
“OpenWrt” – Awesome start.
Extracted the Root-FS using Firmware Modification Kit. Checked out /etc/passwd and found:
After a few hours trying to brute force the hashes and internet searches, I found this post: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=50512.
Change the username and the passwords are the same; SoundMate/123456, root/ifconfig.
With the root password you can login to the telnet port and check it out. The dmesg info shows some other interesting info: SoundMate_dmesg.
Linux version 126.96.36.199 (jh@srv64) (gcc version 4.5.4 20110808 (prerelease) (Linaro GCC 4.5-2011.08) ) #2 Mon Oct 27 19:51:58 CST 2014
SoC: Atheros AR9330 rev 1
Clocks: CPU:400.000MHz, DDR:400.000MHz, AHB:200.000MHz, Ref:25.000MHz
MIPS: machine is TP-LINK TL-WR703N v1
Atheros AR71xx hardware watchdog driver version 0.1.0
So there is another bonus, TP-Link TL-WR703N. There is a great community with many mods available for that router. While the SoC is the same, it comes with an audio card (analog and digital outputs), so the firmware I have created needs to be compiled with the additional driver/s in it.
UPDATE – Added firmware downloaded (15-1-2015). Use with caution, and comes with no warrentees: upgrade-1.1.01-A21(A.01).bin