SoundMate M1

Purchased a couple of SoundMate M1’s for a great price to add wireless audio to area’s of our home. After a short time messing with it, I could only get iTunes to detect it as an audio source. While this is ok, I need it to work with DLNA sources from other devices. Also the web interface looked different from other images I had seen on the web. So I did a little poking around: Downloaded an older version of the firmware and did a string and hex dump to see if there was anything interesting in them. While the Continue Reading →

WR703N v1.7 Warning

I bought a few more TP-Link wr703N routers and proceeded to flash the firmware like I had done with previous ones…. Bricked one, but the other is fine. The models with version 1.7 firmware cant be flashed the same way as the older ones I have. It’s serial console or brick. I did solder the serial points on the first one, but couldn’t fine the hot glue gun to hold them, so when the cables moved it ripped the pads straight off, and no matter how well I scratched the tracks back I couldnt get the wires to solder to Continue Reading →

WR703N Project Box’s

Wireless Serial Convertor

I’ve been inserting the WR703N’s into cases to make them more durable and less ‘touchy-feely’. The Serial to Wireless convertor – used when configuring Cisco switches, you an configure and upgrade the IOS on using it. This has been great for large installs then having to setup 20+ switches. Benefits include being able to sit comfortably at a desk while setting it up, and it runs off a phone backup battery so it doesn’t need to be plugged into a power outlet or USB – general run time is  > 2-3hrs. The case/enclosure allows it to be hanging from a Continue Reading →

WR703N – External Antenna

Final with backup battery

I wanted to extend the range of the WR703N to allow it to pickup more access points. My mini 4GB USB drives have also arrived in the mail, so this makes it the perfect time to start the mod. Here we have the devices used to complete the mod: 4 port unpowered USB hub, DLink external antenna, female SMA pigtail, 4GB Sandisk USB flash drive, and a WR703N running OpenWRT. Opened the case to see where the internal cable and mount can run. Decided off center of the 2 edges in the picture below. To start off open the WR703N Continue Reading →

TP-Link WR703N – Small packets, lots of options

The WR703N is advertised as a mini 3G/WIFI travel router. You can get for about $23 on ebay. There are 2 similar models: WR702N and WR700N, both not as good; WR700N requires mains power, and the WR702N has half the flash, to point out just a few differences. I’ve used OpenWRT in the last few posts and have been very happy with the package selection and setup options, so it was a pretty obvious choice and luckily it’s available for this device. Interfaces: 1x ethernet (10/100Mb), 802.11N wireless (150Mb), USB host. Features: Powered by 5v usb, 32MB RAM, 4MB flash, Continue Reading →

HP T5500 series Squeezeslave V2

If you haven’t figured out by now, I’ve been keen on small network sound devices for a while, although this should be the last revision. As a carry on from this article, I’ve kept with OpenWRT but moved to a different architecture (arm -> x86) to support the thinclients I have and will be getting. In comparison the wireless router was easy to get the base image installed but Squeezeslave wasn’t. This time the base image was stupidly difficult, and Squeezeslave was a cut’n’paste job. The reason why I couldn’t use a pre-built image was because the x86 image doesn’t Continue Reading →

Turn a WRT350Nv2 into a Squeezeslave (networked audio)

Brought a WRT350N v2 from the flea markets last week ($20), installed OpenWRT 10.03.1 using the WinXP firmware upgrade utility. After that installed I then installed some additional packages (full list). So at this point I was able to insert a cheap USB sound card in the rear and it would detect it. I was able to change the volume using alsamixer for testing. Now for the frustrating part, cross compiling squeezeslave to execute it on the WRT350Nv2. I tried a few precompiled binaries, but they were no good. The basic steps I took were: Download OpenWRT SDK. Make sure you’ve gotten the Continue Reading →