I’ve been checking out parts lists and prices for DIY CNC routers. After some research, I’ve decided to convert my Prusa Mendel i2 to a small, very cheap CNC engraver, So I could get a feel for them and work out if it would be worth making a full size one. Below is what I had to work with. You may notice the extra braces on the top corners – the green parts. There is other extra supports on the board it’s screwed on to, to make it more ridged than usual. I found a few mounts on thingyverse, but Continue Reading →
Now I have a working 3D printer again. I did have to make some adjustments to get it working, at least until I have to time to print out better versions of the parts. First dirty mod was to drill out the bottom of the extruder to make the J-Head hot-end fit in it, then use screws jammed into the bottom to make it stay. The second mod was to put a spring between the screws that hold the extruder idler in place to keep the filament from slipping off the hobbed bolt. One of the mods not shown is Continue Reading →
Finally got my extruder, and it didn’t fit a J-Head hot-end, although a 16mm spade bit made sure it did. The thin glass I was using on the bed also broke and the Kapton tape teared on the first go. Not a great start but it is all functioning, it just needs tweaking. For the record, my replacement Solidoodle 2 parts still haven’t arrived, so if I can find a 200mmx200mm piece of glass or thick aluminum before it does, it’s fair to say their customer service needs adjustment..? Comments? Cheers
I only have 1 item remaining (the extruder) to install before I can run some test prints through it, it is still in transit and maybe a few days/weeks. This is a test of the X and Y axis: This is what is built so far, please note the hot-end (a J-head) and extruder motor are cabled up but just hanging until the extruder plastic arrives. Tested: heated bed, all motors, hot-end, and both temperature sensors – all OK, although accuracy may need adjustment during the test print jobs. Cheers.
You may have read my rant at the bottom of this post regarding to cooked hot end resistor. Today I went to try a test print again after the Y axis kept getting stuck. Another parts fail, the front Y axis bearings where cracked and crumbling, then snapped all the way through. You can see from the pieces below that the infill has been set to about 20% on parts that requires constant tension and also holds a moving, vebrating part. A pretty obvious manufacturing mistake. The images below show the second right hand bearing holder failing as I tend Continue Reading →